Beauty treatments have always been in vogue to enhance looks and objects. The booming entertainment industry and modeling world has been motivating many people to pursue makeup artist career. Several techniques and treatments have been upgraded and playing an instrumental role to jazz up faces of models and artists. The career of makeup artists will always stand tall in the world of modeling and fashion. This resulted into a boom for professionals and expert makeup artists to make people look good, rev up looks and help them develop a style statement and a personal aura. Here are tips on how to become a makeup artist.
Tips on How To Become a Makeup Artist
No doubt that career of a makeup artists is not dull. It is exciting and potentially lucrative career. The work offers flexibility, chance to be an entrepreneur, travel across the world and interact with celebrities.
A professional makeup artist is creative and meet innovative challenges each day.
- Learning the theory of makeup is initial step. The crucial one is putting those skills into practice. It requires creativity, innovative ideas, artistic flair and generating a style statement.
- You must possess good communication skills to understand the requirements of a client. You must have good listening skills to grasp the demands of person sitting in front of you.
- Makeup artistry is not just learning how to apply makeup, rather it requires knowledge about skin care, keeping in sync with latest styles and trends as well as range of new cosmetic products.
- Develop a keen eye to learn the makeup belonging to all ages and culture. The renowned makeup artists can recreate a look from any era or generation. A well done research is the key when it comes to recreate makeup of yesteryears.
- The makeup artist must perform under pressure during productions as well as stage and fashion shows. They also work for long hours and even have odd working hours. A career in makeup artistry is not a regular job.
- A makeup artist always learns and adds to the existing knowledge. Even after graduating from an academy or training school makeup artists constantly learn new skills and grow as an artist throughout career span. It applies to all makeup artists, even on ace makeup artists. Everyone tend to stagnate if they fail to update or upgrade skills with advanced professional courses, styles and trends. Qualified makeup artists can work in theatre, film, television productions, reputed fashion magazines, designer stores as well as in fashion weeks and shows.
Also Read: What Does a Makeup Artist Do
How to reach there
A Training Course
First, select a training school or an academy that offers training courses from experts and special lectures by famed makeup artists. Students can opt range of specialised courses in later stages. These courses will armour them with impeccable skills and training. Develop skills and create a style statement. Practice applying makeup on both yourself and your friends to develop a style and improve skills.
After finishing an introductory course on basics of makeup students must receive training in advanced makeup course to gain insight into special effects, glamour, vintage era makeup and so on. Since all professional makeup artists do not work with TV and film productions; makeup artists must specialise in some form of makeup. It can be bridal makeup, celebrity makeup, enhance looks for models during stage and fashion shows. They must develop a core work area.
On completion of training courses, students may start assisting established makeup artists or work as an intern in a salon. This is an ideal way to improve skills, develop contacts and gain hands-on training.
The work experience will reap rewards in the long term.
Create a network
Networking with beauty experts, stylists and famous makeup artists will be beneficial. Keep a tab on internship and entry-level jobs to find a stepping stone.
One can also seek collaborations with production houses, fashion designers, wedding planners, event management companies, beauty brands and so on.
You must focus on honing your makeup and communication skills with such associations.
Creation of portfolio
Start creating a portfolio of your work to showcase your potential and talent. You may also send images through whatsapp, emails, social media networks, cloud networking and so on to approach clients. The folio must highlight your style of makeup, including experiment with different brands of makeup, brands of cosmetics, final outcome on different skin types, day and night makeup, use of different kinds of brushes, accessories, makeup wands and other tools.
List of Makeup Courses
- Beginners Courses
- Fast Track Makeup Artist Course
- Beginners Professional Makeup Course
- Beginners Makeup Course
- One Day Makeup Course
- Henna Course
- Introductory course for makeup in theatre, film and TV productions
Make-up is an art and a make-up artist is a professional artist who uses various media to transform and boost the appearance of a person. Make-up artist uses human skin as a canvas and makeup as a medium.
The art of makeup is vital part of professions such as modeling, film production, Page 3 parties, high-profile events, stage shows, theatre plays, studio chats, dance and reality shows besides other such activities, hence it offers lucrative career.